Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sasssy Blinging Babes Blog Hop and a Tutorial for my Mini Matchbox Magnets

Hi Babes!
I'm doing a tutorial on my little Matchbox Magnets..unfortunately it's a photo tutorial..no one is around to take the video clips for me, and I need both hands for making these.
They are super cute and super easy..and I think you all would enjoy making them.
First of all, you will need to gather your supplies..
Mini Matchboxes (they come in a pack of 10 for about .99 cents)
acrylic paint in the colors of your choice
paint brush for the paint and for the mod podge
computer generated images printed out on regular copy paper to fit the matchboxes
stickles (2 colors)
Mod Podge
Dimensional Lacquer (there are so many different kinds, use what you have on hand)
Mini magnets ( I don't like the peel and stick ones, they don't stay stuck)
strong glue ( for attaching the magnets)
and a craft mat (if you have one) I forgot to take a picture with my Stickles in it..so  don't forget those!
First thing you need to do, is to remove the matches and the insert holding the matches from the box cover and set those aside somewhere where they won't get knocked over.
Then you will paint the top and the bottom of the cover. DO NOT paint the sides, that is the striker for the matches! Some paint colors require several coats of paint, others will cover really well with just a coat or two.
Let these dry thoroughly.
Next your going to put a really thin coat of Mod podge on the top of the cover, and a really thin coat on the back of your image, and lay your image on the top of the cover, then put another really thin coat of Mod podge over the top of the image. If you use a thick coat your image is going to warp and get air bubbles.
Set these aside and let them dry completely.
The next step is to add you stickles around the edges of the box cover. I like to do it in dots. After I do the first color I like to wait for it to dry before doing the second color. THe stickles are going to create a dam for the dimensional lacquer so it won't go over the edges. Again...I forgot the picture with the Stickles!!!
After your stickles have completely dried, you can add your lacquer. Do NOT shake it, or you will have air bubbles. I have found the best way to to this is to hold the bottle straight upside down and touch the tip to the surface and move slowly coating it completely with a thick coat.
You will want to let this dry at least overnite..so it is hard and doesn't smudge.
Then you can put the matches back in the covers.
Next, turn your box upside down and add a little glue to your magnet and center the magnet on the box. Again, let dry completely.
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and will give them a try!
Now , about the RAK...all the Babes that are doing the Blog Hop and comment on this post will be entered to win this RAK from me The RAK consists of:
One of my Matchboxes, of course.
6 of my handmade Butterflies (your very lucky!)
and 3 of my hand made roses ( you really don't know how lucky you are!).
I will post the winner on the Sassy Blinging Babes Forum buy the 15th of May! I'm going away for awhile..so you just have to wait till I get back and rest for just a little bit.
If you want some more fun - the next blog in the Sassy Blinging Babes Blog Hop is: Sarah at Papertree

9 comments:

  1. Wow, these are so cool, Rhonda! I love them!! And yes, if you win Rhonda's RAK, you are very lucky! I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!...These look even cooler than you described!

    Also, I think the Stickles are surely the pièce de résistance!!

    Thanks for sharing Rhonda! I love your detailed tutorials (I even own E6000 because of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tutorial Rhonda!! These Magnets are so cool!!! I need some on my fridge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great little crafty item. Would make really neat gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWesome!! I could kick myself for passing up some of these craft items at a pre estate sale today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so lucky I get to learn first hand from you on how to do all this cool stuff.. And you know I just love these Matchbox magnets.. Thanks for all the teaching..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial! These matchboxes are so cool! I've not really worked with lacquer.. but I now feel more comfortable trying it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda, these are absolutely amazing. I will need to make a few of these, I know my mom and aunt would love them and probably a friend or two of mine. Wish I could remember where I got my hummingbird picture from, I'd use that.

    ReplyDelete